North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Musings of chief inspector and president of SENWI House Inspections

Friday, June 8, 2012

OtterBox Cell Phone Cases


Every so often you come across a product that actually does what it says it will do and OtterBox cell phone cases do just that.

As a home inspector, I often find myself squeezing through tight places and have quite regularly knocked my phone out of its case or just ripped the case of my belt.  The end result was often damage to my phone or my case.  When I upgraded to a Blackberry last fall I decided to invest in an OtterBox Defender case which cost me more than the phone but boy does it represent a good value when you look at how it and the company behind the case have performed.

My first of several close calls took place on a job site where I was volunteering with Habitat for Humanity.  I rubbed by a stud and dropped the phone down 1.5 stories.  That would have been sure death right?  But no, even though the phone was knocked out of its ‘holder’, the balance of the OtterBox rubber and rigid plastic wrapping kept the phone safe and secure.

Similar scenarios happened several times in the months ahead until one day I really did it.  While getting into my truck, the case caught on the doorframe and went ‘snap’.  The rivet holding the belt clip onto the holder had snapped into three pieces.  Now on previous cases I had purchased and performed a similar manoeuvre to similar outcomes, I had always been SOL with the retailer saying sorry ‘but’… 

I decided to contact OtterBox through their website and take a chance.

Miracle #1: They Responded – Quickly!
Miracle #2: They were willing to replace!
Miracle #3: I did not have to jump through hoops to get the replacement and it would cost me $0!

They asked I send them a photo of the damage and that I put next to the case in the photo a piece of paper with my Name and the Date.  That was it.  I submitted this info and a couple of hours later I get an email informing me my new case was on the way.  I received excellent and prompt support which is rare these days (Thank-you John).

In the last 6 months they have sent me 5 cases – What can I say, I am a big guy fitting through a lot of tiny spaces. And to provide full disclosure, one arrived broken and one was the wrong model.  But even these provided me with parts that I have been able to use to ‘repair’ my case from time to time.  Each time, the same thing, just send them an email with a photo and the new case was on its way with no grief.

The cases are extremely durable; I am just VERY HARD ON THEM.  For a normal person, these would probably last many years without any problems.  And even when you do rip them off your belt and they go bounding down to what ever hard surface greets them below – you phone will survive!

The OtterBox cell phone case is well worth the extra investment in my view!

No comments: